The reality of my 28th Birthday

Dreaming is always one of my favourite things to do. So back in December, I drafted out my birthday plan. Now, having a plan is one thing and realising it is another. Here was how I bridged the gap.

The day I checked in to Zackry Guest House, I was rolling it out slowly. Had a simple lunch at a nearby Malay restaurant. Then I headed out to the Cenang beach. I was totally amazed by the fine sand and all I wanted to do was to swim in it. Well, too unfortunate that I had some rashes over my body, I decided not to. Instead, I camped on the beach with a Strongbow, iPod Touch and a book. Of course, I spent much time doing the necessary, bought a new pair of slippers, hunted for holiday sunnies, chocolate, beer and a white dress and surprisingly, a royal purple chandelier. By dusk, I headed for dinner and walked back to Pantai Tengah.

Next I knew, I was chilling in my room, hoping to do a full marathon first thing in the morning. Hugo gave me a call and sang me a birthday song as I demanded in my sms. Seriously thought that was real awesome of him. Must be one of my biggest blessings to have him as a friend in my life. Well, many people wished me Happy Birthday on Facebook which I dreaded because I think a birthday wish is only a birthday wish when it's done personally not slapped on the Facebook wall. On a side note, someone stayed up to wish me happy birthday. :)

Truth was, I was scared and am always scared to sleep alone. I didn't sleep well all night, I woke up at 11 am and was feeling groggy. By the time I had my breakfast and shower, it was noon. Contemplated for awhile and decided that the sun was permissive as it wasn't too hot. So I finally hit the roads, I ran towards Awana Porto Malai and it was a short 2km from where I was staying. I headed back to those main roads and my plan was to run 21km in one direction so when I head back, it would be a full marathon. Here comes the funny part, the more I ran the hotter it got. By 13km, the blazing hot sun was a big turn off.

For the first time in my life, I was in middle of nowhere and stood by the roadside and waved at motorists to hitch a hike back to my place. By the 3rd attempt, I threw in a "Tolong" and a motorist stopped. He sent me to back to Cenang Beach. Still it was too hot, I went to the beach side again and was chilling under a shady tree. Well, I fell asleep on the beach. By 4 or 5 pm, I woke up to a late lunch. Headed back to the guest house and showered and I was winding down to read a book and suddenly this Aussie guy and his mom came walking in.

He first thought I was a worker there. We were quick to exchange what we did in a day. His mom told me that my English was all right and that there was this guy from China who speaks good English too. Now the best part was - he runs. Amazing! Well, a mere conversation then led to a dinner. So I met the guy from China. As we talked, we figured we were all heading to Penang. It was too awesome.

After dinner, we headed back, it was a walk filled with beers and birthday songs on encore. It was such a blessing. By the time we got to the hostel, I was sleepy and the Aussie guy persuaded me to hang out at Babylon where there was cheap beers and good music.  The best part was everyone in the hostel was heading to Babylon. We all squeezed in to a taxi which was actually a van. I had another birthday song and probably another beer. It was a random evening, talking to everyone, we even talked to the tattoo artist who said he got a tattoo on his dick. Hmm...

Finally, had the chance to wade water in the dark, it was so comforting to the feet. It was so dark, the end seemed and felt infinite. I looked up and I couldn't miss the sight of Orion. There were more stars than I ever imagined. Anyway, by 3 am, I headed back as I was too tired. Bumped into 2 random guys from Penang and exchanged Facebook contact and they were sweet enough to send me back to the hostel.

Something worked out as per my plan and others were unexpected pleasant surprises. Mostly, I guess I must had attracted those special moments. For back in March 2010, I had my first trip to Langkawi, I was full of sadness but when I saw the starry sky from the window of his car, it was my only comfort. At that point, I told myself, I must be back to Langkawi for a second time. The only difference in the second time was that I would bring a cheerful heart along my trip.


And on that night, I slept like a baby...


full of zest for life on my 28th birthday,
wanting


Comments