Crossing Over | One Step at a Time

Urban Xchange: Crossing Over is an art exhibition 

On First Impression

While I'm not an expert in going to art galleries or even an art critic, I feel, this place seems very down-to-earth and unpretentious to me.

Here's some fast facts:

What: 
Urban Xchange: Crossing Over is an art exhibition 
Where:
Hin Bus Depot Art Centre in George Town, Penang. 
When:
Launched on 21 November, 2014 by the Penang Chief Minister
Who:
Brought together by Hin Bus Depot and Urban Nation, this is works featuring local and foreign artists




The Interior

The Exhibition

I love art. I love photography. I like the liberty of free interpretation. This is definitely one place that I enjoyed. 

As we entered clockwise, this set of paintings were right on the left side. Profanity, peering eyes. Even the wall was painted in order to make these paintings stand out better. Good effort.
This reminded me of a scene in 101 Dalmatians. How I wished I brought Luffy along in this mission.

This is an overall look of the exhibition hall. A very vintage plus a tad of creepiness. Noticed the car in the center of the hall.
This cool car is indeed a work of art in its own rights. Threading the fine lines between our national anthem against...
...something not so halal in Malaysia land.
Here's a colourful textured macaw.
I like this piece of art so I took it with as much details as possible. It's a block of carved coloured wood.
I love the shine in her eyes. Looking all pretty here.
Created a version of this in black and white. I keep wondering, what is she looking up to and what is he staring at and what a "Good Fuck, I love you" got to do with all these. Will be great if you can drop me a comment, give me a perspective, please.
On first impression, I thought it looks like a crime scene to me.

The Exterior 

Wall Painting a.k.a Mural

The Hin Bus Depot, as its name suggests, used to be a place where all the Hin buses were stationed. I saw a lot of them when I was a kid. If I remember correctly, we called them the blue bus. I lived very nearby to this place but had never gone in before. For the first time in my life, I stepped in, it was already a popularized art centre.

Here's one wall mural. I had seen other versions of this on Instagram. Link here. I'm pretty glad, it was a very nice shade of blue sky.
Here are other pieces of wall mural on relics that used to be a house?
A kungfu girl bending over her back with a photog underneath.
A very big boy looking down on midgets saying, "C'mon, gimme that high five."
A pair of kids rowing their boat. With a nice tree on the right, it provided some shades on the wall.
Reminded me of a piece of Chinese ink painting.
As a photo exercise, I like this with background, midground and foreground.

Time I Make Some Art Out of Art

I don't know if I will ever become an artist but here's me making my fellow photog, a piece of poster art.
Here's a piece of coloured wall with a bullet hole. :D
It's dripping rainbow from above and peeling too.
This is so old school and purposeful.
And lastly, when life and some man-made stuff breathe in unison.
All right, here are some productive shots. Till I visit another art exhibition~ Ciao.

*These photos are intellectual property. Please do not use without permission.

Comments