Being a Part of the Longest Bridge in Asia

That final 1km, we just got to take a picture.
The event took place on 16 November 2014, the Penang Bridge International Marathon was something I was looking forward to. The first time to run on the longest bridge in Asia, I am a proud proud Penangite. As I had only managed to participate in 2 running events this year, the PBIM 2014 was definitely one of the big bang highlights as the year comes to an end.

The Training and the Hurdles

We set up a chat group and got hold of potential runners to train together. It was an interesting mix of people ranging from neighour, house mate and ex-colleagues. It wasn't always easy to arrange time to train as we all have our commitments. We started training in September, learning to wake up early on Sundays all over again. To me, after taking a long break in running, it was frustrating to pick up running again. Frustrated because I knew I had done so much better in the past (10km in 60 mins) and I couldn't do the same now (10km in 78 mins). 

Self-acceptance is very important. Roger that.

While I was happily training, I received a notice to work full day on that weekend from 9 am to 6 pm at a fair and a few days later, I received a wedding invitation from a very good friend of mine. I was stunned but I decided that I would attend to everything because everything meant a lot to me.

Never say die!

My training grounds had included Botanical Garden, Karpal Singh Drive, a football field and my office gym and car park whichever was most accessible to me. There were very hazy days here but I had fun running no matter alone or with someone. I checked again, I still hadn't regained my speed but I was pretty assured my legs could handle the distance.

Pre-PBIM, I also took the opportunity to run with the Keysight Running Club. 

My Role on Race Day

I was pretty happy to play a special role this year. My friend agreed to let me pace him for his first half-marathon. I wasn't too sure if I would pace him or he would pace me because I had certainly seen his good-run day and lightning sprint.

We took a picture to motivate us to keep going.

That Romantic Finish Fantasy

Couldn't remember when I started fantasizing of a romantic finish where I could hold a guy's hand and run to the finish line and lift up our hands victoriously and maybe, just maybe, hug and kiss each other.

So my friend and I smiled all the way, completed in less than 3 hours. Just as we were approaching the finish, the marshall demanded that I finish off in the Full Marathon lane. I ignored and continued running towards the Half Marathon lane but I was sternly demanded to run towards the Full Marathon lane again. Invisible tears rolled down my cheeks as I crossed the line, turned back and saw a frown on his face too.

So much so for finishing together, we were runners of different class.

*whimpers and wails*

The Happy Reunion with My Mates

After completing the 21km race, I didn't feel much effect on my legs. We waited for the 10km runners to come back in and reunited with our friends that did 42km. Took a group photo and headed out for breakfast.

It was such a happy day to be able to meet my fellow Hard Rockers. The run united us.

Gotta Replenish What We Burnt

We cannot afford hunger. So we carboloaded before the race. After all the calories were burnt, it was time to replenish the calories again. We went to a cafe, a Chinese restaurant and Kapitan.

At a Hainanese restaurant with so many other runners. Awesome!

You Never Quit, Son

Nike We Run KL 2015

Of course, it's not going to end after food. We shall proceed to the next year's new challenges. Nike We Run KL 21km and a new mission to hike Mount KK. While there maybe complaints but I had a fun run and feel proud to run on such a long bridge. Really enjoyed the good weather and the wind because not every year is the same.

Cheers to an exciting 2015 to come!


Thank you so much to Calvin, Jayne and Danny so spending the wonderful day with me.
Post-run, here's a picture with the other half-marathons from the Kaki Running Club.






Comments