Maa Roy Thai Review - 5 Dishes to You Must Try

Food review at lunch hour is my new luxury since working at the remote Batu Ferringhi didn't allow me to travel around for lunch. Ever since, I relocated to Bayan Lepas, food reviews are made possible.

A friend introduced us to Maa Roy Thai at Kristal Point. Truthfully, it's only my second time stepping into a Thai restaurant in my entire life as I used to think that Thai food must be very spicy.

On first impression, Maa Roy Thai looks very local and relaxed. Gave me a feeling like they serve home cooked food. They are pretty thoughtful as there are menus for 1-pax lunch (from only RM9.90) and 2-pax lunch sets at (RM39). They even have menus for a group of 4 and more.

In general, I love most of the food offered here. I'm just going to make life simple by highlighting 5 of my favourites.

Fish

And the first is fish! I've not have fish in the longest time. When this dish came along, I took a bite and I love the taste. It looks a bit jungle-like with lots of vegetables on top of the fish. Yet those vegetables actually complement the taste of the fish. Apart from the fillet, the gravy is very appetizing too. As I am writing, I think I'm falling deeper in love with Thai cuisine.

Mango Salad

It looks like kerabu to me. Okay, I think it is kerabu. We love that that they used ripe mangoes for this. Though the colour of mango is a little dull due to its ripeness, as a whole, it's fresh and crunchy to bite. Peanuts and sweet sour chilli sauce are drizzled all over and lettuce along with carrots are fresh. A perfect dish in terms of taste and colour combination. Healthy too!


Tom Yum Soup

A typical Thai meal cannot be complete without tom yum soup. When asked, my friend who recommended this place said, "The seafood tom yum here is good." Having tried this personally, I need to give the same credit. In the soup, you will see cuttlefish, mushroom, prawns and fillet. Ahhh, tom yum is just too addictive! Wish I could have more but that cute little steamboat caters to exactly 6 bowls of soup - no more, no less. We were amazed by their measuring skills!


Lemon Grass Drink

Firstly, we love their creative idea on using lemon grass as a stirrer. Totally out of the box! But we were concerned about the possibility of those lemon grass stalks being reused. We have no idea.

Anyway, at first sip, it tastes very bland. After a little more, the mild flavour begins to kick in and it feels like a refeshing beverage. If you have gotten bored of lemon tea, try lemon grass tea.


Deep Fried Kangkung

Being more health conscious, I came across recipes like cauliflower steaks and kale chips. I have always wanted to make kale chips but I've never seen kale anywhere in Penang. When I saw this plate of deep fried kangkung, I was a bit taken aback. It didn't occur to me that leafy vegetables can be deep fried like like tempura. This is really crunchy and comes with sweet sour chilli sauce as a dip. Definitely an indulgent dish to me.

Tup Tim Krop Dessert

It's my first time having this and I just have to keep the best for the last! Apparently, a famous Thai dessert which I only just recently found out. I think I can make this myself. It's so simple and captivating making glutton like me a very happy. 

A bowl of chilled coconut milk with some fruits with some sticky texture. Though, I didn't add in sugar, I thought it is already nice in that state. 


With one visit, I've opened my eyes to something new. I didn't put in all the dishes that I ate. Rather, I prefer to highlight the real yums. If you've been there, what else would you recommend?


Comments